Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

syl4mas

This year I separated from my wife but we are still married. I will file separately, I only get SSI because I don't get anything else and I'm over 65 do I declare it?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Rachel_W
Expert Alumni

This year I separated from my wife but we are still married. I will file separately, I only get SSI because I don't get anything else and I'm over 65 do I declare it?

Per IRS Publication 907: SSI Benefits are not reported on your federal tax return. 

Please see the TurboTax FAQ below for more info:  https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4767309

[Edited 03.07.2019| 3:52PM]

View solution in original post

10 Replies
Rachel_W
Expert Alumni

Per IRS Publication 907: SSI Benefits are not reported on your federal tax return. 

Please see the TurboTax FAQ below for more info:  https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4767309

[Edited 03.07.2019| 3:52PM]

syl4mas

Where do i report my ssi?
Rachel_W
Expert Alumni

Please follow these instructions to enter your Form 1099-SA for the Social Security Benefits you received:
• Login to your TurboTax Account 
• Click "Take Me To My Return"
• Click "Search" in the upper right corner, then type "Social Security Benefits" in the Search Box 
• When the results populate, click the "Jump to Link"
• Click "Yes" where it asks if you received any Social Security Benefits and click "Continue"
           From here TurboTax will walk you through entering your Form 1099-SA
syl4mas

i did not receved a 1099 sa
Rachel_W
Expert Alumni

You should be able to get a copy online at the SSA website: <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.ssa.gov/myaccount/?gclid=Cj0KCQiAn4PkBRCDARIsAGHmH3cTa4yHgJPhoXs-7gvbP28vdwE9fYXude9OOFa...>
syl4mas

i went there but i do not have a 1099-sa because i  receive Supplemental Security Income only , do i declare it ?securety social said 1099 are not available for people who receive Supplemental Security Income
Rachel_W
Expert Alumni

You are correct, they do not give a 1099-ssa for Supplemental Benefits; therefore, you do not need to file a Federal Return.  Sorry for the confusion!
syl4mas

ok but will that not raise question from the IRS if i don't fill?
Rachel_W
Expert Alumni

If that is your only income, then no it will not raise a question with the IRS.
syl4mas

thank you so much for all your help
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies