turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lisacato

What if my husband claimed me in 2016 as an dependent, do i need the AGI to file 2017 taxes if we legally seperated in 2017?

I'm trying to file my taxes and it asked if i have an AGI or someone else on my behalf.  Not sure how to answer since my husband carried me as an dependent on 2016 taxes

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

What if my husband claimed me in 2016 as an dependent, do i need the AGI to file 2017 taxes if we legally seperated in 2017?

Yes, you need the AGI from last year's tax return. 

Your husband did not "claim you" last year. You were not a dependent. He filed a joint return, with you. His AGI is also your AGI. If you are unable to get that from him, try entering 0. If that doesn't work, you will not be able to efile and will have to print and mail your return.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

Yes, you need the AGI from last year's tax return. 

Your husband did not "claim you" last year. You were not a dependent. He filed a joint return, with you. His AGI is also your AGI. If you are unable to get that from him, try entering 0. If that doesn't work, you will not be able to efile and will have to print and mail your return.

Radricka

This TurboTax FAQ will assist you with locating your AGI if you were a dependent last year:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4397436

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies