turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jenice02

This is my first time filing taxes with a dependent, my son is currently 10 months old. How do i know for sure that i get credit for him?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KiaraE

This is my first time filing taxes with a dependent, my son is currently 10 months old. How do i know for sure that i get credit for him?

Since your son was born last year, make sure you say that he lived with you for the whole year. Turbotax will ask the necessary questions to make sure you get the maximum credits and deductions allowed for your son. 

View solution in original post

4 Replies
KiaraE

Since your son was born last year, make sure you say that he lived with you for the whole year. Turbotax will ask the necessary questions to make sure you get the maximum credits and deductions allowed for your son. 

jenice02

I know I’m supposed to receive 1,000 for him but do not see it added to my current amount.
KiaraE

That $1,000 that you are referring to is a tax credit. If you have children who are under age 17 at of the end of the calendar year, you can get a tax credit of up to $1,000 per child on your tax return. A tax credit reduces your tax bill dollar-for-dollar, so three qualifying children, for example, can cut what you owe Uncle Sam by $3,000.

From: <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/family/child-tax-credit/L9ZIjdlZz">https://turbotax.intuit.com/...>

The Child Tax Credit is non refundable so it can only reduce your tax to zero.  Then you will just get all your withholding back plus any refundable credits you qualify for like the EIC.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies