Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

GA-Bruin

The 1099 B I received only shows the cash proceeds from a merger (cash + stock in the new company was received for stock of the old company). How to adjust in Turbo Tax?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

The 1099 B I received only shows the cash proceeds from a merger (cash + stock in the new company was received for stock of the old company). How to adjust in Turbo Tax?

You need to disclose the companies involved.  There just isn't a "one size fits all" answer to how to account for stock plus cash deals.  The referenced answer might fit your situation, or it might not.
GA-Bruin

Thanks Tom.  Related to this DellEMC merger.  <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3405510-the-emc-dell-merger-resulted-in-emc-shares-being-converted... have all the calculations done; TT is creating a ST loss due to only "seeing" the cash received for the transaction and not the stock.  I need to force the amount for the gain.

"TT is creating a ST loss due to only "seeing" the cash received for the transaction and not the stock."

I don't understand what you are saying here.  "ST" or "LT", "Gain" or "Loss" has NOTHING to do with TurboTax only "seeing" cash received.  ST and LT is set by "date acquired" vs. "date sold" and TurboTax "sees" nothing beyond the proceeds you enter, be it cash or cash + FMV of stock.  The "RSU" aspect of the stock adds no additional complexity what so ever.  Whether the stock was acquired five years ago through your broker or 2 days ago via an RSU changes nothing.  You still have to make a lot-by-lot analysis of gain or loss, you still need to "derive" a basis to use for each lot.  

If you're unsure here, start a new question that refers to the EMC/Dell deal.
Hank-P

There was a similar questions asked that had great detail in the response, see if this link provides you some information needed:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3751435-company-merger-we-received-cash-plus-new-stock-for-old-sto...

GA-Bruin

Thank you Hank.  Some additional complexity.  Original shares were RSUs that vested in the current year as well.  Do I adjust the basis for the stock by overriding the FMV of the RSUs at their vest date, or is there a way to have a line item for "other" adjustments to basis.
Hank-P

You should have an option to select "I'll enter additional information on my own" and under the next page, there is an option to enter corrected cost basis.
GA-Bruin

Thanks Hank.  Unfortunately it doesn't look like this option is available when you go down the path to populate the information for RSUs.  It looks like you're locked in to the FMV at the vest date as establishing the basis (unless there's another path that I'm not seeing...)
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies