Solved: There is a number in box 14 on my W2. My employer said it was for health insurance...but that isn't an option when I go to file the return. What should I label it?

IronBlueberry

There is a number in box 14 on my W2. My employer said it was for health insurance...but that isn't an option when I go to file the return. What should I label it?

ChristinaS

Sec. 414(h) and Sec. 125 contributions have no impact on your federal tax return. You only choose a dropdown if you are filing a New York State return, as employees of the City of New York (work for the city, not just in the city) may be taxed on their NYS return. Your contributions have already reduced your W2, Box 1 income for federal tax purposes.

There's no dropdown for these numbers, as the information in Box 14 is just a reference, and doesn't need to be there in the first place. There can be no impact to your federal tax return on account of this information, so there's no dropdown.

You can choose the last-Other. Or don't do anything with it- either result is the same. Your benefit is already part of your W2 wages.

ChristinaS