Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sverdun29

I do not see the injured spouse form that i apllied for in the review. How do i find out if i did it correctly?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DianeW
Expert Alumni

I do not see the injured spouse form that i apllied for in the review. How do i find out if i did it correctly?

There are some tips to review below and use the screen images attached for critical entry information.  You can use the print center to see if it's included (My Account > Print Center > View/Print Forms if you have paid the fees).  

Review the images attached to be sure you are answer the right questions and with the correct answers.

• Reminders & Tips:  
  1. If the injured spouse is the only one with income all of the refund will be released after IRS review of the Form 8379.  
  2. If there is income from both spouses, the IRS will apportion the refund and some will be released.
  3. If the injured spouse had no income, the refund will not be released and the form should not be filed.
  4. If you are not in a community property state, and both of you have income, you can divide exemptions up any way you see fit. It is possible the IRS may make some adjustments based on the income levels for each of you.  Let them do that when they receive it.  
  5. If you do live in a community property state, community income would be split equally between the two spouses.  With respect to deductions, the deductions would be split depending on whether the expenses related to community income or separate income.
  6. The standard deduction must be split between you so you can't change that part. 
  7. Per the IRS, 11 weeks for an e-filed return and 14 weeks for a mailed return.
  8. Review the screenshot attached for the initial important answers.

To prepare Form 8379 Injured Spouse Allocation using TurboTax Online:

1. Click on My Account

2. Click on Tools

3. Click on Topic Search

4. Search for 8379 and click Go

5. Follow the prompts (see the attached screenshots)

Note : If you don't have a My Account, try maximizing your window and/or zooming out your browser.  If you are on a mobile device, you will not have access to My Account or Tools.  The instructions below for TurboTax Desktop should offer you close guidance.  If you need more assistance, please comment below.

To prepare Form 8379 Injured Spouse Allocation using TurboTax Desktop (CD/Download Product):

1.     Click on Federal Taxes (Personal, if using Home & Business)

2.     Click on Other Tax Situations

3.     Click on Miscellaneous Tax Forms

4.     Click on Report an injured or innocent spouse claim

5.     Follow the prompts and attached screenshots

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DianeW
Expert Alumni

There are some tips to review below and use the screen images attached for critical entry information.  You can use the print center to see if it's included (My Account > Print Center > View/Print Forms if you have paid the fees).  

Review the images attached to be sure you are answer the right questions and with the correct answers.

• Reminders & Tips:  
  1. If the injured spouse is the only one with income all of the refund will be released after IRS review of the Form 8379.  
  2. If there is income from both spouses, the IRS will apportion the refund and some will be released.
  3. If the injured spouse had no income, the refund will not be released and the form should not be filed.
  4. If you are not in a community property state, and both of you have income, you can divide exemptions up any way you see fit. It is possible the IRS may make some adjustments based on the income levels for each of you.  Let them do that when they receive it.  
  5. If you do live in a community property state, community income would be split equally between the two spouses.  With respect to deductions, the deductions would be split depending on whether the expenses related to community income or separate income.
  6. The standard deduction must be split between you so you can't change that part. 
  7. Per the IRS, 11 weeks for an e-filed return and 14 weeks for a mailed return.
  8. Review the screenshot attached for the initial important answers.

To prepare Form 8379 Injured Spouse Allocation using TurboTax Online:

1. Click on My Account

2. Click on Tools

3. Click on Topic Search

4. Search for 8379 and click Go

5. Follow the prompts (see the attached screenshots)

Note : If you don't have a My Account, try maximizing your window and/or zooming out your browser.  If you are on a mobile device, you will not have access to My Account or Tools.  The instructions below for TurboTax Desktop should offer you close guidance.  If you need more assistance, please comment below.

To prepare Form 8379 Injured Spouse Allocation using TurboTax Desktop (CD/Download Product):

1.     Click on Federal Taxes (Personal, if using Home & Business)

2.     Click on Other Tax Situations

3.     Click on Miscellaneous Tax Forms

4.     Click on Report an injured or innocent spouse claim

5.     Follow the prompts and attached screenshots

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies