turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I attach a file to a return?

I am trying to file a return for a multi member LLC (Form 1065) but it is being rejected.  The "fix" according to Turbotax is that I must sign form 8453 and attach it to the return before e-filing.  I have never had to do this before.  I verified that Form 8453 is being included with the electronic return, so I'm not sure why it's not being accepted.  This is the only error that I'm encountering.  Why would the electronic 8453 form not be accepted, and how to I attach a scanned file to my return?  The "Tools->Attach" option is grayed out in the program.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

8 Replies

" The "Tools->Attach" option is grayed out in the program."

For some reason, probably an oversight, the attachment functionality has been completely removed from TurboTax Business.

You most likely do have the 8453-PE form listed in Forms in My Return, but that is not the copy that gets transmitted with your Form 1065 and related forms/schedules; it is the signed, scanned, and uploaded file (which file includes the form) that is transmitted.

This issue has been reported, but may not get rectified until next week. You always have the option of filing by mail, of course, but I would suggest waiting for the fix (in the form of an product update).

So does this mean that all multi-member LLC's have had to wait for this fix or mail in their returns since the signed 8453-PE couldn't be attached?  In previous years, Turbotax would prompt me to attach the scanned form during the e-file process, but this year, it didn't prompt me.

The attachment process was essentially broken by a (very) recent update.

The current release is R23 and I was able to attach an 8453 on a test return using an older release (R20).

Is there a way to uninstall recent updates and revert back to an older version of the program?

Not really (at least there's no mechanism in the program that will allow you to do so).

If you happened to have an older installation file (it would look something like w_turbotax_bpm_2018.180.0100.exe), then you could remove your existing version and install the slightly older release. However, I would not recommend doing so since that could create other, unforeseen and perhaps worse, issues.

OK, I will wait until the issue ix fixed, hopefully very soon.

I'm sure they'll fix it next week, it's just a matter of which day.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies