Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

The search for Form 1099-PATR does not bring up the Form 1099-PATR. Where is it? How does one enter 1099-PATR information into schedule 4835???

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies

The search for Form 1099-PATR does not bring up the Form 1099-PATR. Where is it? How does one enter 1099-PATR information into schedule 4835???

HelenC12
Expert Alumni

Most often, your Form 1099-PATR reports dividends associated with a farm or cooperative (co-op). You can also receive a 1099-PATR for other reasons (for example, a land bank mortgage or backup withholdings made on your behalf).

Tip: If the dividends in box 1 of your 1099-PATR came from property purchased for personal use (or capital assets or depreciable property used in your business), you don't have to enter your 1099-PATR. Keep it with your tax records, though.

Form 4835 is for Farm Rental Income and Expenses. 

To enter a 1099-PATR for farm or co-op dividends:

1. Open (continue) your return in TurboTax
  2. Inside TurboTax, search for 1099-PATR (be sure to include the dash) and then select the Jump to link in the search results
  3. Follow the instructions to enter info about your farm
  4. When you get to Your Farming Income and Expenses, you will enter your 1099-PATR info in Livestock, grain, produce, custom work, co-ops

If your 1099-PATR isn't for farm or co-op dividends, it gets entered as general business income:

1. Open (continue) your return in TurboTax
  2. Inside TurboTax, search for business (schedule c) (use this exact phrase) and then select the Jump to link in the search results
  3. When asked Did you have any self-employment income or expenses? answer Yes
    1. If you'd previously entered self-employed income, you'll come to Your 2022 self-employed work summary. Select Add another line of work to enter information about your farm
  4. Follow the instructions to enter info about your farm
  5. When you get to Let's enter the income for your (type of farming) work, select Other self-employed income and Continue
  6. Enter the information from your 1099-PATR on the Tell us about other self-employed income screen.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

These instructions do not work.  Turbotax needs to fix this problem by adding to Forms the 1099-PATR and have it come up when one searches for Forms.  It currently does not appear.

Since the info on the PATR can go in more than one place  there is no single 1099-PATR entry screen in the program ... never has been, never will.   The IRS gets a copy of the 1099 from the issuer and not thru your tax filing.  They are only looking for the income to show up somewhere on the return.  

You have to decide why you got the form and enter it in the correct section of the program.   The prior post told you where to go for each of the 2 usual places.  

My search doesn't provide a link to the form either. Also the Rental Farm Income area for Co-ops only provides space for two entries. My three PATR 1099's have entries in different boxes. I could combine two of them but there is no entry for individual boxes on the forms or any instructions other than for box 6.

The problem is that if items are not entered through Turbotax entry questions, there is no way to insure the information is propagated to the correct forms and added to your return.

JohnW152
Expert Alumni

If you can clarify which boxes on each of your Forms 1099-PATR are populated, we may be able to assist you with entering your information appropriately.

To expand on what Critter-3 says above, the IRS is generally looking for 1099-PATR information to be reported in specific places:

• Schedule F, lines 3a, 3b, 38a or 38b
  • Form 4835, line 2a or 2b
  • Schedule E, Part I
  • Schedule E, Part II
  • Schedule B, Part II and
  • Schedule C, line 6
JJ361

@JohnW152 I have a 1099-PATR with amounts in boxes 1, 7 and 8.  I know where to put box one.  Where do I put 7 & 8?  I am using TurboTax Home and Business

PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

QBI income reported on Form 1099-PATR Boxes 7, 8 & 9 is entered in the QBI section for your Farm. 

Edit your Farm and scroll to the bottom to click Continue. Indicate that it is QBI income and continue to the page "Qualified payments from a cooperative" where you can enter the additional info from 1099-PATR. Be sure to read any blue hyperlinks on these pages for additional info (ex: Learn More).

Not all PATR income is QBI. We lease farm land and share the production resulting in PATR's from co-ops.

This thread has indicated enough to understand that anything on the 1099-PATR is income and should be entered like any other miscellaneous income for that property, farm land in this case. Also that the IRS receives the PATR info from the co-op and could come looking for it on your forms if you are selected for an audit.

Please correct me, if my understand is wrong.

DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

You are generally correct.  However some items on the PATR are deductions and some are informational simply identifying sources of some or all amounts in other boxes.  So in order to get the right items reported one would need to know what the PATR was for and which boxes have amounts in them and possibly even what those amounts are.   

@SesquimGuy

Enginer01

This is why my blood runs cold when I see the word >>Intuit<<<

Why can't you just add Form 1099-PATR to TurboTax Deluxe and not raise my blood pressure so high?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies