turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

seensu

I have SSN and my dependents doesnt have ITIN,need help further

Can I submit Tax returns and ITIN at same time ... Your website doesnt allow me to go further as dependent doesnt have ITIN number given
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
seensu

I am not able to enter applied for field and not able to use mail return option,please help
nyinyeb

The words ''Applied For'' should be hand written after you have printed your return. Leave the SSN/ITIN field blank. After you have completed your return,  please follow these steps to file by mail:
1.Sign in to your TurboTax Online return.
2.Click File and you’ll get to the [Your name], just (…) more steps and we'll file your returns screen.
3.Complete Steps 1 and 2 if you haven’t already done so, then click Start next to Step 3.
4.On the Let’s get ready to e-file screen, select File by mail, then on the pop-up screen make sure you select File by mail for federal and all of your states.
5.Follow the onscreen instructions to print your return
seensu

I have complete return online and got my PDFs for taxreturns .. Can you please assist me further for next steps for mailing returning or process to apply ITIN and return combine
nyinyeb

The process to apply for an ITIN as well as the mailing address is given in the IRS link below . Please check information under ''How do I apply for an ITIN"? https://www.irs.gov/individuals/general-itin-information
seensu

I am on H1B Visa.. is this answer still valid?
nyinyeb

Here's what to do if your dependents do not have Social Security Numbers and you are applying for an ITIN number (Note:You will not be able to file online)

• Whenever TurboTax asks you for their SSN/ITIN, leave it empty. You will be warned about Errors but that's okay because you aren't going to e-file anyway.
  • Once you've entered all of your data and your forms are complete, TurboTax will tell you that you will have to file by mail because you have errors which prevent e-filing.   
  • Save all of the forms to your computer and/or print them directly from TurboTax
    • When attempting to print you will be warned that you have errors and asked if you want to proceed anyway, say yes.
  • Sign your return along with your spouse if Married Filing Jointly and include any withholding (copies or W-2) or other documentation that would normally accompany your return.
  • Write the words "Applied For" for all missing Social Security Number fields
  • Mail your return with your W-7 form along with all required and certified documents.

Make sure you mail your tax return, along with the ITIN application, to the address given on this page --> ITIN Information   

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies