turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If one sells stock but does not deposit proceeds into a personal (bank) account but keeps in an investing act., does that still count as income in regard to filing taxes?

Proceeds stay as cash in an investment account. Ultimately, I'm seeing if I need to file a Schedule K-1 or not.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If one sells stock but does not deposit proceeds into a personal (bank) account but keeps in an investing act., does that still count as income in regard to filing taxes?

It's still income because you sold stock, no matter what you did with the proceeds. As far as the IRS is concerned, the cash balance of an investment account is just like cash on hand or in a bank.

Is it actually a partnership (including limited partnerships and most LLCs) or S corporation interest? The only time a K-1 is needed is if a partnership or S corporation is involved. If it's regular corporate stock owned & sold by you personally, that's reported on a 1099-B and Schedule D, not a K-1.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

It's still income because you sold stock, no matter what you did with the proceeds. As far as the IRS is concerned, the cash balance of an investment account is just like cash on hand or in a bank.

Is it actually a partnership (including limited partnerships and most LLCs) or S corporation interest? The only time a K-1 is needed is if a partnership or S corporation is involved. If it's regular corporate stock owned & sold by you personally, that's reported on a 1099-B and Schedule D, not a K-1.

Okay. Thanks. Should filing that be expected to be found free online somewhere?  Also. it's a limited partnership.

As in you owned & sold an LP interest? Or did your LP own & sell stock?

I owned and sold.

The K-1 will come from the LP for any gains & losses of the LP until you sold it; you'll enter that on your return. Also, you may get a 1099-B from your brokerage for any trading gains or losses (I'm not sure of that as I don't regularly deal with publicly traded LP interests). Either form will require you to file a long-form 1040, thus you won't be able to use Federal Free Edition (Absolute Zero).
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies