Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

david2014

Why was I charged $39.99 for state and for federal and also a $39.99 charge for having the money taken out of my return? Other people in similar situations as me have told me they didn’t have to

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Why was I charged $39.99 for state and for federal and also a $39.99 charge for having the money taken out of my return? Other people in similar situations as me have told me they didn’t have to

The Free Edition can be used to enter anything directly on the new 1040. If you return required the use of any of the new Schedules 1-6, you had to upgrade to Deluxe.

Here is what the Free Edition can and can't do: https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1913043-is-turbotax-free-edition-right-for-me

Or you can just look at your tax return and see which additional schedules you had to use. 

View solution in original post

7 Replies

The Free Edition can be used to enter anything directly on the new 1040. If you return required the use of any of the new Schedules 1-6, you had to upgrade to Deluxe.

Here is what the Free Edition can and can't do: https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1913043-is-turbotax-free-edition-right-for-me

Or you can just look at your tax return and see which additional schedules you had to use. 
david2014

I literally had a yes no box when I was logged out asking if it was helpful but when I logged in it disappeared....
david2014

Also what would I have that would make me have to pay for all three when my co workers with ALL THE SAME STUFF DID IT FOR FREE ON TURBOTAX ??????

If there is any of the Schedules 1-6 in your tax return, whatever is on the scedule is the reason you had to update. Co workers tax returns are almost never identical.
david2014

What is a schedles 1-6

There are 6 different schedules. Each one has different entries on it. Look at your tax return and see which one was required for your tax return.
david2014

If it told me what it was I don’t think we would be here
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies