Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

When e-filing, what is the maximum file size that you can send to the IRS?

My form 8949 consists of many, many pages, and my broker (Coinbase) didn't give me a 1099. I was hoping I could just e-file it. All of this is short term capital income from cryptocurrency. I am filing with a CPA as well, so I plan to just give him the form 8949, if that is even possible.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DianeW
Expert Alumni

The Form 8949 can be E-filed with your tax return.  There isn't a "maximum" file size that can be E-filed (that I can find or have encountered).  If the form is accepted for E-file, then the number of transactions shouldn't eliminate it from E-file. The IRS does request this Form to be mailed in many cases, but not all.

You can choose to separate long term versus short term activity, then make two entries, one for each.  Long term holding period is more than one year. Then you can attach your excel sheet (or other tracking sheet) for the necessary backup to your tax return entries. This an be mailed to the IRS with Form 8949 after E-file acceptance or if requested by them later.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DianeW
Expert Alumni

The Form 8949 can be E-filed with your tax return.  There isn't a "maximum" file size that can be E-filed (that I can find or have encountered).  If the form is accepted for E-file, then the number of transactions shouldn't eliminate it from E-file. The IRS does request this Form to be mailed in many cases, but not all.

You can choose to separate long term versus short term activity, then make two entries, one for each.  Long term holding period is more than one year. Then you can attach your excel sheet (or other tracking sheet) for the necessary backup to your tax return entries. This an be mailed to the IRS with Form 8949 after E-file acceptance or if requested by them later.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies