Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

The best/correct way for a Multi-Member LLC to pay our own children who work for us.

We have a multi-member (partnership) llc with 3 equal partners. We do not provide w-2's. If someone works for us we give them a 1099-NEC.  Is the same true if our children work for us, do we provide them with a 1099-NEC? Also it says a dependent child has to claim more than $400 in 1099-NEC compensation---but for businesses it says not to provide a 1099-NEC until an independent contractor makes more than $600 for your business---why the discrepancy between those 2 amounts? So say my child works for my business as mentioned above and made $3k in 2023.  I provide them when a 1099-NEC Correct?

Also then what is recommended should they file they own taxes and select they can be claimed by someone else---or do I enter their income from their 1099-NEC on my own individual 1040 and fill out another form...which is the better option.  Also how much can they make on a 1099-NEC before having to pay taxes.

Thank you!

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

The best/correct way for a Multi-Member LLC to pay our own children who work for us.

Self employment income over $400 is subject to 15.3% self employment tax. If you gave him a W-2 for 3K he would have no filing requirement and you would not have to pay payroll tax so that would be a better option for you. 

Can I provide W-2's if we are not a corporation? and if we do not have employee's?

Well, you do have an employee if you hired your son to do actual work which a requirement if the LLC is deducting his pay. You can hire employees as well as independent contractors. Since your son doesn’t have a business and works at your direction and not independently, he is more accurately classified as an employee. 

Off topic, but his pay would qualify for him to have a Roth IRA if you wanted to set that up for him. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies