turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am self employed. How do I take advantage of the 20% pass-through deduction in 2018? Do I need to set up an LLC? Can I still use Turbotax self employed software?

Does an LLC qualify for the 20% deduction?  Is there a maximum income limit for a professional to get this deduction (dentist)?  If there is a max. income limit, is the income gross income of net income after expenses and deductions?  Can I use Turbotax online self employed version or another version to file my taxes after I set up LLC?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

I am self employed. How do I take advantage of the 20% pass-through deduction in 2018? Do I need to set up an LLC? Can I still use Turbotax self employed software?

That is for 2018 returns you file in 2019.  And we don't know any details about the new tax code yet.  Nothing has changed for 2017 returns now.

The activity/setup must be appropriate for the new tax law, starting now.

You don't need anything special like a LLC.  Any business (besides a C-corporation) potentially qualifies for it.

You will qualify for it if (1) the "taxable income" on your tax return (Line 43 of Form 1040) and (2) your business profit is under $315,000 (Married Filing Jointly) or $157,500 (Single).  After that, the deduction starts getting phased out over the next $100,000/$50,000.

Although most businesses can still keep the 20% reduction if the income is above those amounts and they have enough W-2 wages or 'qualified property', several categories do not qualify for that provision.  Unfortunately for you, the "health" field is one of those unqualified businesses.  But again, if your income is below those dollar amounts, you will qualify for that deduction.

webdebnyc

So is it something that is applied automatically?  Or do I need to request it specifically?

It should be applied automatically. But that doesn't start until your 2018 tax returns (filed early in 2019).
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies