turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jcapp721

So a company I worked for went bankrupt and I was told to use form 4582. Is it true I can not e'file if I have this form??

Also, I looked up on how to access the substitue form and it said to just check the box under uncommon situations, but there is no substitute form option under uncommon sitatuations after my w'2 only these'

Worked outside the U.S. -
Paid family leave -
Unreported tips - I
Religious employment -
Foreign or international organizations -tax. 
Pension plan - I
Corrected W-2 - 
Nonstandard W-2 - 
Inmate or Halfway House -
None of the above
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JulieH1

So a company I worked for went bankrupt and I was told to use form 4582. Is it true I can not e'file if I have this form??

That is true.  

You cannot efile with a substitute form 4852.

As far as not having the option of Substitute Form, according to IT, it is because you have transferred over the W-2 from last year.  You need to delete it and start over.  When you enter it as a "new" W-2, you will get the substitute option.

To delete the W-2:

1. Open your return.
    (To do this, sign in to TurboTax and click the Take me to my return button.)
  2. Search for W-2 (upper- or lower-case, with or without the dash) using the search or help feature in the upper right corner and then click the "Jump to" link in the search results.
  3. This brings you to the Review your W-2 info screen. Click the “trashcan” icon (delete) next to the unwanted W-2 and then answer Yes on the following screen.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
JulieH1

Look at this picture I attached.  The Substitute Form is between Nonstandard and Inmate.  If you still do not see it, comment back please.
jcapp721

i still do not have this as an option
dmertz
Level 15

It's Form 4852, not 4582.
JulieH1

Yes. Sorry.  A little dyslexia on my part.  Let me ask.
JulieH1

Do you know the EIN? If you worked there last year, it will be on the W-2 from last year.
JulieH1

See edited answer below.
JulieH1

That is true.  

You cannot efile with a substitute form 4852.

As far as not having the option of Substitute Form, according to IT, it is because you have transferred over the W-2 from last year.  You need to delete it and start over.  When you enter it as a "new" W-2, you will get the substitute option.

To delete the W-2:

1. Open your return.
    (To do this, sign in to TurboTax and click the Take me to my return button.)
  2. Search for W-2 (upper- or lower-case, with or without the dash) using the search or help feature in the upper right corner and then click the "Jump to" link in the search results.
  3. This brings you to the Review your W-2 info screen. Click the “trashcan” icon (delete) next to the unwanted W-2 and then answer Yes on the following screen.
jcapp721

thank you so much!
JulieH1

You are welcome.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies