turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Updated my son to have SSN from ITIN but return rejected as it says IRS didn't recognize SSN. I just received card ….any ideas why rejected....

I have gotten a new SSN for my son so I can get the tax credit but the IRS rejected my return.  I know they check against the social security so not sure why they are not in synch.  Does anyone know if social security office has different system to work with IRS... any ideas why this didn't work?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies

Updated my son to have SSN from ITIN but return rejected as it says IRS didn't recognize SSN. I just received card ….any ideas why rejected....

It can take several months for the IRS database to be updated with newly issued SSNs...you may want to file an extension or file by paper.
♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

My understanding is that the IRS pings the social security database on submission.  They dont store there own database so this doesnt make sense.  Is there somewhere to confirm the process they use?

1. As far as we can tell, the IRS does keep a separate copy of the SSA database.  It seems to be the only explanation since we have seen multiple instances of the IRS and SSA databases being out of step with each other.

2. What does it matter and why do you care?  Even if you find proof that the IRS does use a live SSA database and should not reject your return, that won't change the fact that they did reject it and you need to mail it in this year.

"My understanding is that the IRS pings the social security database on submission"

In my experience over the last decade or more, it still takes several months for SSNs or last name changes to be recognized by IRS once they've been made current at SSA.
♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

update:  I called the IRS and SSA.  IRS does ping the SSA database to check on the SSN.  That process wasn't clear to the lady I was talking but that was her understanding so she suggested calling the SSA which I did.  They said my son's SSN is live and valid but it can take up to 30 days for that information to propagate to all databases hence that might be the problem.

I am going to file an extension and refile in 30 days.  

So you're going to wait 50 days for your refund instead of 35 days?  OK.

thankfully I don't need the refund so efiling is just easier in my mind over printing out and sending.  Also, on their end, I prefer they review automatically rather than have to read and evaluate.

Use the SSN. If you can't e-file, print your return and mail it in. 

Separately, you need to send the IRS a letter informing them of the new SSN so that can associate the old and new tax records.  Use the same instructions as in question 12 of this FAQ. https://www.irs.gov/individuals/itin-expiration-faqs

Hi darren1977 , in the end did work after you wait for 30 days? I’m facing the same problem, I’ve just got my kid’s SSN and I tried to efile and it’s rejected saying that error: R0000-504-02 verify dependent’s ssn number.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies