turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Won a prize package in an internet contest. The prizes were sent out to me over time from different sources and I was never given a 1099-MISC or similar form. Do I skip?

One of the prize senders had me give them tax information for their end but they still never sent me a form. I don't have a way to contact them at this point, at least not as far as I know.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LeeM

Won a prize package in an internet contest. The prizes were sent out to me over time from different sources and I was never given a 1099-MISC or similar form. Do I skip?

First, I would wait a little bit as Form 1099-MISC are not due to be sent out until January 31, 2019.

If you claim that as income not on a Form 1099-MISC as directed in the TurboTax FAQ below, the IRS may receive a Form 1099-MISC not listed on your return and then you will have to explain it.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
LeeM

First, I would wait a little bit as Form 1099-MISC are not due to be sent out until January 31, 2019.

If you claim that as income not on a Form 1099-MISC as directed in the TurboTax FAQ below, the IRS may receive a Form 1099-MISC not listed on your return and then you will have to explain it.

How long til I should expect one do you think? Because I'm not gonna lie getting the prizes in the first place was a bit of a clusterfluff. Nothing went smoothly and a lot of passing the buck and delays. I don't expect them to be prompt on this front either but I want to get my taxes done ASAP.
LeeM

The deadline from the IRS for Form 1099-MISC to be sent to you is January 31, 2019.
LeeM

If they do not send you one, I would enter it as "Other Income" not reported on a Form 1099-MISC just to be sure to select the correct type of income.

Thank you very much. Honestly a part of me wishes it could just be like "Oh no form,guess that's that." But I know better. 😛

One last question though. The prizes WERE sent to me from different companies that were affiliated with the contest holder. Should I file them separately or just bunch up the prize package as a whole?
LeeM

If you don't receive any Form 1099s, I would just enter one total.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies