turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tot

Should I try to file a short lived job without a W-2, or should I continue with my taxes as if I never worked there?

Do I need to file taxes for a job I only worked and got paid for three days? The manager of the establishment cashed me out for about $60.00, and I have not yet received a W-2 for that, I am not even sure the IRS is aware I worked there, being that it was only three days and I did not received a paycheck from them.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ToddL

Should I try to file a short lived job without a W-2, or should I continue with my taxes as if I never worked there?

The IRS requires you to report any income, however minor. Having said that, when an employer "cashes out" an 'employee' after a very short term of employment, no W-2 is issued to the 'employee' or reported to the IRS. 

If you try to report it as  Wages in the "Other Income not already reported on a Form W-2" interview (Other Common Income > Miscellaneous Income) the program will require you to prepare and file additional forms (Form 8919 and Form SS-8) that will serve no material purpose given the amount involved. 

You can, however, report the payment in the "Other reportable income" interview  (Other Common Income > Miscellaneous Income). Given the amount and duration involved, it is reasonable to argue this payment was not related to your "main job" but is more accurately described as "Casual Labor".

View solution in original post

2 Replies
ToddL

The IRS requires you to report any income, however minor. Having said that, when an employer "cashes out" an 'employee' after a very short term of employment, no W-2 is issued to the 'employee' or reported to the IRS. 

If you try to report it as  Wages in the "Other Income not already reported on a Form W-2" interview (Other Common Income > Miscellaneous Income) the program will require you to prepare and file additional forms (Form 8919 and Form SS-8) that will serve no material purpose given the amount involved. 

You can, however, report the payment in the "Other reportable income" interview  (Other Common Income > Miscellaneous Income). Given the amount and duration involved, it is reasonable to argue this payment was not related to your "main job" but is more accurately described as "Casual Labor".

Tot

Thank you very much for your help!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies