turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Kat513

Interest income

When I add interest income from a savings account to Turbotax, it increases my federal taxes due. Why? I already paid federal taxes on this income per my 1099-INT, so why does adding in this income increase my federal taxes on Turbotax?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Interest income

As you add taxable income (in your case, interest income), your federal taxes will increase.  You are reporting more taxable income.

When you add your Federal Income Tax withheld on that interest (box 4 on the 1099-INT), that amount will be subtracted from your tax to come up with the tax on your total income.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Interest income

As you add taxable income (in your case, interest income), your federal taxes will increase.  You are reporting more taxable income.

When you add your Federal Income Tax withheld on that interest (box 4 on the 1099-INT), that amount will be subtracted from your tax to come up with the tax on your total income.

Kat513

Interest income

Thank you, that makes sense. However, Turbotax didn't have a box 4 to put in taxes withheld, so it's missing that section - unless I add that in later under a different section?
Kat513

Interest income

Never mind - I found the box to check: My form has info in more than just box 1 (this is uncommon).

Interest income

I'm glad it's ok!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies