turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Does my adult grandson who is my dependent made and $756 via self employment last year have to pay self employment tax even if I claim his earnings?

My adult grandson made $756 doing online tasks (as an independent contractor) in 2016. He is declared as my dependent. Does he still have to pay Self Employment tax if I declare his income? Does he still have to file if I do? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
NewGuy

Does my adult grandson who is my dependent made and $756 via self employment last year have to pay self employment tax even if I claim his earnings?

You cannot claim his earnings.  He is required to file his own return since he made more than $400 in self employment earnings.

This is from IRS Pub 501
Table 3.Other Situations When You Must File a 2016 Return

3. You had net earnings from self-employment of at least $400. (See Schedule SE (Form 1040) and its instructions.)
https://www.irs.gov/publications/p501/ar02.html#en_US_2016_publink1000220714

View solution in original post

6 Replies

"if I declare his income?" Why are you trying to defeat the tax system?

I didn't mean it that way, not trying to short Uncle Sam,  it's just that the instructions on how to handle the earnings of a dependent seem to be different if they are self employed from they way it would be if they have an employer, but I wasn't really clear on that and didn't want to do the wrong thing
NewGuy

You cannot claim his earnings.  He is required to file his own return since he made more than $400 in self employment earnings.

This is from IRS Pub 501
Table 3.Other Situations When You Must File a 2016 Return

3. You had net earnings from self-employment of at least $400. (See Schedule SE (Form 1040) and its instructions.)
https://www.irs.gov/publications/p501/ar02.html#en_US_2016_publink1000220714

Thank you for answering, and thank you for answering before midnight.

I did a smile emoticon but it didn't show. Well, sending you a smile, thanks again!
NewGuy

Your're welcome
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies