Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

BrittHug

Taxes Rejected xml

Come on, Turbo Tax!  😤

Submitted my Fed and State taxes today. Both were rejected.

I've been using Turbo Tax for years. I've never had an issue e-filing. Now I must print and mail my returns? That's unacceptable after paying for the luxury of e-filing both fed and state. 

"An xml document that represents a binary attachment must have a valid reference to an attached file." Is the error I am getting. I do have form 7206 and cannot delete it. FIX THE PROBLEM!! QUICK!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies
Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

Taxes Rejected xml

The development team has given us an update concerning customers who are receiving the Reject Code R0000-058-01 when trying to electronically file your return. The resolution to this situation is taking longer than expected and it may not be resolved before the tax filing deadline. For reference, this information is from the IRS Instructions for Form 7206:

Generally, you can use the worksheet in the Form 1040 instructions to figure your deduction. However, if any of the following apply, you must use Form 7206.

• You had more than one source of income subject to self-employment tax.
  • You file Form 2555.
  • You are using amounts paid for qualified long-term care insurance to figure the deduction.

To proceed and get your return filed in a timely manner, please follow this advice:

1 - If you are required to include Form 7206 as a part of your tax return based on the information above, then you need to print and mail your return. Electronic filing will not be an option if the reject code persists.

2 - If you are not required to include Form 7206 as part of your tax return, then you can attempt to delete the Form 7206 and try electronically filing your return once again. If the form cannot be deleted or you still get the reject code, then you need to print and mail your return.

Use the steps in the following TurboTax help articles to delete Form 7206:

How do I view and delete forms in TurboTax Online? 

How do I delete a tax form in TurboTax Desktop (Windows or Mac)?

@BrittHug 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
CarlK920

Taxes Rejected xml

Same problem.  And deleting form 7206 is not an option for me either.

This wasn't tested by TurboTax before it was released??  Now when the users have the problem the answer is "the fix is taking longer than we expected ... blah, blah" you will have to print and mail.  
Not what we expect from TurboTax!

CarlK920

Taxes Rejected xml

Not a very good answer, TurboTax!!

Ckent323

Taxes Rejected xml

Same problem - 

"An xml document that represents a binary attachment must have a valid reference to an attached file. The return cannot be electronically processed. To file this return print and mail it to the appropriate IRS office"

Small town with post office now closed.  No choice but to file for an extension.  Thankfully I have a refund due.

State e-file return, which I paid $25 to file electronically, was automatically rejected because the federal return was rejected.

The rejection wording makes it seem like a TurboTax electronic formatting issue.

This is an unhappy and stressful experience.

Taxes Rejected xml

I smell class action lawsuit against TurboTax due to the number of people who will get penalties as a result of this. Same problem here, printer is out of ink so going to have to spend $50 plus postage after purchasing turbo tax. Huge disappointment! 

Taxes Rejected xml

I didn’t get my rejection notice until today and have to file a day late, do I send a letter with my paper return to indicate it was rejected electronically but submitted timely???

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

Taxes Rejected xml

Any taxpayer who received a rejected e-filed tax return has a rejection grace period of 5 calendar days after the official filing deadline (usually April 15) to retransmit the return or extension. *Forms 1120 and 1065: The yearly cutover period does not extend the 10 day Transmission Perfection Period.

@Hosefish 

Taxes Rejected xml

How can I retransmit if Turbo Tax hasn’t fixed the bug?

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Taxes Rejected xml

Your retransmit will be the postmark on your mailed return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies