Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Taxes rejected due to code IND-181-01 pin number

The pin entered is what was provided by TurboTax which I assumed was the pin from last year. My Federal return has been rejected twice. Question 1: Can I enter another new different number for my pin? Question 2: If I enter my AGI, can I skip the pin number entering process completely and let the IRS use my AGI for the identifying process? Update: I have figured out that there is a 6 digit pin that is issued by the IRS and then a 5 digit pin that is generated by TurboTax. These are two entirely two different things. I did not receive a 6 digit pin from the IRS and therefore do not understand why the return is being rejected. I have never had this problem before. Government wants you to do everything online, but then throw up obstacles to make it difficult for an honest person to file, but yet scammers are making millions. Now, off my soapbox and someone help me solve this problem, as I am sure others are also having it.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JulieS
Expert Alumni

Reject IND-181-01, refers to the Identity Protection PIN that is issued by the IRS for taxpayers who have experienced identity theft, or are concerned that they may in the future. It is not the same as the self select PIN that you enter just prior to e-filing. 

If you have been issued an IP PIN, it is updated each year and you will receive a letter from the IRS with your new IP PIN, usually in January. 

If you did not receive a letter, you will need to get your current IP PIN from the IRS. 

Click here to learn more and request your IP PIN.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

16 Replies
BrandiLO1
Intuit Alumni

Have you followed the steps in this article to correct e-file reject IND-181-01?

I have read this article and other articles and have investigated the article, and I have found that it is not as simplistic as the article leads you to believe. I did not receive a letter therefore should not have to provide a IRS pin number. However thank you for the reply and link.

JulieS
Expert Alumni

Reject IND-181-01, refers to the Identity Protection PIN that is issued by the IRS for taxpayers who have experienced identity theft, or are concerned that they may in the future. It is not the same as the self select PIN that you enter just prior to e-filing. 

If you have been issued an IP PIN, it is updated each year and you will receive a letter from the IRS with your new IP PIN, usually in January. 

If you did not receive a letter, you will need to get your current IP PIN from the IRS. 

Click here to learn more and request your IP PIN.

I did the IRS thing. Pain in the a$$ to do but at least my filing was finally accepted. Thanks for the reply.

I tried following the instructions, to no avail
THERE IS NO FIX link when you sign-on... ONLY Continue Return
Where is this FIX link ?

@docwan4674 wrote:

I tried following the instructions, to no avail
THERE IS NO FIX link when you sign-on... ONLY Continue Return
Where is this FIX link ?

See this TurboTax support FAQ for the IRS error code IND-181-01- https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/rejections/help/e-file-reject-ind-181-01-the-identity-protection-p...

To enter a 6 digit IP PIN

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
  • Click on Other Tax Situations
  • Scroll down to Other Return Info
  • On Identity Protection PIN, click the start button

Or enter ip pin in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen. Click on Jump to ip pin

You have to go to the IRS Web site and take steps to create a 6 number pin. It took me about 5 to 10 minutes to do so and you received the pin online from the IRS. Write down the pin as it is difficult to retrieve once you leave the site. Once I did that and entered the 6 number pin, my return was accepted. However, it is not the 5 number pin assigned by TurboTax at the end of your return. After receiving your 6 number pin from the IRS. You need to return to TurboTax, and return to the Federal Taxes Tab, then go to "Other Tax Situations" and about 1/2 way down the page under Other Return Info, there is Identity Protection Pin. Hit the Update button and it will ask if you received a 6 number pin. Answer Yes, enter pin and then the IRS should accept your return. At least that worked for me.

Yes that works.  Thank you Jim!

The instruction do not tell me where to find the place to enter my IP PIN

@ketter777march wrote:

The instruction do not tell me where to find the place to enter my IP PIN

To enter a 6 digit IP PIN

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
  • Click on Other Tax Situations
  • Scroll down to Other Return Info
  • On Identity Protection PIN, click the start button

Or enter ip pin in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen. Click on Jump to ip pin

The fix below worked. Why does Turbo tax not allow you to enter your IRS pin instead of their 5 digit pin when you are going through the e-file process? And why don't they explain this better when they tell you your return has been rejected? Their program seems to be getting harder to use every year.

pate3019

I've followed your instructions successfully, thank you. One last question though. Should the 5-digit pin number box now be blank on the signature page?  There is a prefilled number in there still that I'm assuming is now void.

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

That five digit PIN should be the one issued by TurboTax.  Go ahead and efile and you should be fine.

@pate3019 

As far as I can tell, the five-digit PIN that I've been using each year in TurboTax is NOT what is needed.

I did not receive and IRS PIN this year. TurboTax is using the same PIN that I used in 2021, 2020, 2019, etc. and it is five digits. There is no guidance in the dialog to indicate this PIN is no longer used and a new one must be obtained from the IRS even if you've never received one.

I note also that the IRS says IP PINs must be obtained online. They do not send them out via mail any more as far as I can tell.

• New IP PINs are generated each year and can be retrieved from the IP PIN application in early January each year. You will not receive an IP PIN notice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies