Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

MIJOGA
Returning Member

Tax Year Prior to 2020: Not Receiving Earned Income Credit (EIC) Despite Meeting All Requirements

I've revisited this section multiple times in TurboTax, and reread all the requirements a dozen times, and I can't find any possible reason TurboTax isn't giving me the credit. I received it last year, TurboTax says it looks like I should be eligible, but after answering the questions it gives me $0 of credit.

- I received EIC last year

- I have income from a job

- I'm single with no children and have Adjusted Gross Income and Earned Income of less than $15,270

- I'm a US Citizen

- I have a SSN

- I have no investment income

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
KarenL
Employee Tax Expert

Tax Year Prior to 2020: Not Receiving Earned Income Credit (EIC) Despite Meeting All Requirements

What about your age?   If you're not claiming a qualifying child:

• You (or your jointly filing spouse) must have been born on or after January 1, 1954; and
  • You (or your jointly filing spouse) must have been born on or before December 31, 1993; and
  • You (and your jointly filing spouse) cannot be claimed as a qualifying child or dependent on anyone else's return.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
MIJOGA
Returning Member

I can confirm I am filing as single, was born after 1954 and before 1993, and am NOT claimed as a dependent or qualifying child on anyone else's return.

I popped all your information into the IRS EIC tool and it stated you are eligible for EIC.

However, I further entered '$15,000' as the income and it only yields $19 for EIC.   At $15,250, there is no EIC credit provided. 

so is it that you are not getting ANYTHING or it's you're getting very little? 

how close is your income to $15,270? is that the issue? 

MIJOGA
Returning Member

I am receiving an EIC of $0. Turbotax says "it looks like you're eligible for EIC" but then still gives me $0. 

I have wages and salaries of less than $10k and a sole proprietor business with losses greater than my wages so I'm at a net loss for the year, and I don't think any part of my return shows anything close to $15k of income.

Could it be a glitch in my Turbotax software? I make sure to install all the updates every time the program loads. 

SIDE NOTE: It's getting marked as spam, but I keep trying to also post that I have an electric vehicle and should be receiving a $7500 credit, but it's only applying a portion of it to my business. On the personal portion it says I get $0 of the credit likely due to other credits and taxes.

The is no EIC because your earned income (wages less business lossss) is less than zero

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/earned-income-tax-credit-do-i-qualify
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies