Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax withholding with two jobs

Good Afternoon, 

I work two job, currently  the withholding from my second job is at zero, I make $800-$1000 per month.

For my fill time job I was making around 38,000 and had my withholdings at 2

Now I have been promoted and the pay is significantly higher.

I am wondering would it make sense to change my fulltime job withholdings to ZERO

and the part-time withholdings to two or three.

I dont know if any of this matters, i just dont want to owe next  year and would like some opinions

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

You have told us nothing else about yourself  -- not even your filing status.  All we know is that now you make more money than you used to make.  Try using the taxcaster tool and the IRS W-4 calculator.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/calculators/taxcaster/

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/tax-withholding-estimator

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

You said withholding is zero.  Do you mean the withholding taken out was $0 or 0 allowances?  If anything I think you would want more withholding taken out of the job that makes more.  

It doesn't matter which job the withholding comes out of just as long as it's enough to cover the tax on all your income combined.

Yes I meant my allowances was zero for the second job.

but that is what I was wondering if it mattered which one was at zero.

THANK YOU.

Yes it matters.  The higher paycheck will have more taken out for zero than the small paycheck.  You want to have the most taken out for taxes.  When you have 2 jobs the tax is more for both incomes combined.  So the withholding on one job won't cover both.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies