Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sokkman

Tax Return

I did my taxes with TurboTax Tax. At the end I had a return of approximately $1200. Then TurboTax asked me if I had received the third stimulus check. I correctly answered no. TurboTax then increased my return by approximately $2000. I filed after having my taxes by a TurboTax expert. LTer I received a check from the IRS for approximately $1200. They said I miscalculated my return. WHY DID TURBOTAX INCREASE MY RETURN IF THE IRS WOULDNT ACCEPT IT?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Tax Return

TurboTax has no way to know that you received that stimulus check.   Only you and the IRS know if you received the stimulus check.   Since you answered "no", the software correctly added a recovery rebate credit to your return and increased your refund.   Then you received the stimulus check that you told TT you did not receive.   When the IRS processed your return, they knew you had received it, and they reduced your refund.   You cannot get the same stimulus money twice.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Tax Return

TurboTax calculates your taxes based on how you answer the questions it asks you. If you tell TurboTax you did not receive a third stimulus payment, then TurboTax will add any eligible amount to your return as a recovery rebate credit.

TurboTax is not able to check whether you actually received a third stimulus payment or not.

If IRS gave you $1,200 instead of $2,000 if means IRS records show you received a third stimulus. 

If you’re positive you did not get a stimulus payment and IRS says you did, your payment may have gotten lost. You can request a payment trace.

To start a payment trace:

Reminder: DO NOT request a trace prior to the timeframes above. IRS assistors cannot start a trace prior to those timeframes.

To complete the Form 3911:

• Write "EIP3" on the top of the form to identify the payment you want to trace.
  • Complete the form answering all refund questions as they relate to your Economic Impact Payment.
  • When completing item 7 under Section 1:
    • Check the box for "Individual" as the Type of return
    • Enter "2021" as the Tax Period
    • Do not write anything for the Date Filed
  • Sign the form. If you file married filing jointly, both spouses must sign the form.

You will generally receive a response 6 weeks after we receive your request for a payment trace, but there may be delays due to limited staffing. 

OpeA1
Employee Tax Expert

Tax Return

Hello @sokkman!

Please call out customer care number 1.800.4.INTUIT for specific help on your situation because we cannot put personal information on this forum.

Please call us and one of the experts will be happy to go over your return and screen share with you. 

Thank you!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies