Aa220Pilot

Tax Fraud question

Late last year our credit monitoring agency reported that my wife filed for unemployment benefits in TN where we do not live. Needless to say we posted a fraud alert on her credit. We never got a 1099-G or any records saying that benefits were paid out. I have not been able to get TN's unemployment office to return calls to see if they rejected the claim, so my question is:

Given the above scenario, should we click "yes" when TurboTax asks us if we have been a victim of fraud? We see no activity on her credit, no new accounts or lines of credit open, only this one alert for COVID unemployment benefits in Tennessee where we do not live. 

Thank you for your input. 

JeffreyR77

Tax Fraud question

I vote no.

Aa220Pilot

Tax Fraud question

Thank you. I called TT and asked them the question too. Their response was to select, "yes" because if there were any benefits paid and not reported they would come back to us asking why we had not reported it and we would be in a tighter spot because of knowing about the fraud, having a fraud alert on her credit and not reporting it.