turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I'm expat living in UK and do not have W2. How do I complete form?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

If you are a US citizen or resident who earned wages overseas, you will enter it under the Foreign Earned Income section in the program.  See instructions below.  If you lived in UK for at least 330 days during 12 consecutive months, you might be able to exclude your foreign income from your taxes.  For more information, see  Foreign income and exclusion and Extension.  For tax year of 2016, the maximum foreign earned income exclusion amount is $101,300.

To enter your UK earned income / foreign income exclusion in TurboTax Self-Employed online program:

1. After sign into your account, select Take me to my return 

2.  At the right upper corner, in the search box , type in foreign income and Enter 

3.  Select Jump to foreign income 

4.  Next screen, Did You Make Any Money Outside the United States? answer Yes 

5.  On screen, What Form(s) Was Foreign Income Reported On ? check the third box A statement from                      my foreign employer (could be cash)and continue to proceed

-As you are going through the step-by-step interview questions in the program, if you qualify for the exclusion, your income will not be included on your tax return and the Form 2555 will be removed.  If you do not qualify, your foreign income will be added as your  taxable wages to line 7 of your Form 1040

-After the exclusion, if you paid taxes to both UK and US government on the same amount of any income, you may qualify to claim a foreign tax credit by filing a Form 1116.  See instructions below.

To enter form 1116, foreign tax credit :

1. After sign into your account, select the orange buttonTake me to my return

2.  At the right upper corner, in the search box , type in foreign tax credit and Enter

3.  Select the 1st choice on the search results - Jump to foreign tax credit 

4.  Start with screen Foreign Taxes and select Continue  to follow prompts.

See attached screenshots.

taking the exclusion is not a requirement. Form 2555 is only required, if using the exclusion and not for foreign earned income per se.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies