Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Supporting Documentation for Form W-7

I am a J2 visa holder. According to the substantial presence test, I am considered a resident for tax purposes. To file my taxes, I need to apply for an ITIN, which requires submitting the W7 form. However, I cannot mail the form as it requires my passport, as supporting documentation. Among the supporting documentation listed on the IRS website, I only have a “Visa issued by the U.S. Department of State”.  I would like to know if a copy of a US visa is acceptable as supporting documentation?

Best regards,

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

No.  You cannot send in a copy, unless it is an original certified copy from the issuing agency.  Meaning, you would have to get a duplicate, you can't use a copy machine to make a copy to send. 

"You must submit original documents, or certified copies of these documents from the issuing agency, that support the information provided on Form W-7. A certified copy of a document is one that the original issuing agency provides and certifies as an exact copy of the original document and contains an official stamped seal from the agency. You may be able to request a certified copy of documents at an embassy or consulate." W7 instructions

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you for your reply. Do you mean I request the US embassy where I got my US visa to send me certified copies? If the embassy sends me this document, is it acceptable to print it?

Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

They would need to send it to you in the mail it to you unless you are able to schedule an in person meeting to pick it up and then you would in turn mail that to the IRS.  

You cannot print one.  

If you send your original visa, the IRS will send it back to you.  However, if you do not trust the mail or do not want to go without having it on you, then you could file an extension while waiting to get an official copy delivered to you or picked up if possible. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies