Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Submitted EFILE and got Error IND-031-04 AGI incorrect Filing 2022

Went through the return instructions and comments.   The AGI I entered was correct.  Problem, My wife and I filed as Married filing Jointly for 2021 and 2022.   So I was Primary for both years.   Turbo_tax efiling instructions are confusing for entering AGI.   You do not have an option answer for Filing jointly.  The systems requires the 2021 AGI for both of US.  But there are no directions for entering AGI.  So I entered the same number AGI from our 2021 tax return for both of us.  Got kicked back: AGI error.  Having no information for my criteria in Turbo-Tax, I entered the 2021 AGI for me and 0.00 for my wife and sent it off.   So waiting for acceptance or rejection.  If rejected, then I have no option but to PRINT and MAIL.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

If you filed the 2021 tax return as Married Filing Jointly the 2021 AGI is the same for the both of you.  When TurboTax asks for the 2021 AGI in the File section of the program you should enter the 2021 AGI found on the Form 1040 Line 11 for tax year 2021.

If the IRS rejects the 2022 tax return for the 2021 AGI then there is a good possibility that the IRS does not have your 2021 AGI in their database.

In this case enter a 0 (zero) for the 2021 AGI and e-file the 2022 tax return again.

You can pick the option that you did not file last year and it will skip the AGI question and let you efile.  The IRS does not see that question or care about it.

I am puzzled by this too. my eFile was rejected and I had the same AGI for both me and my spouse (actually TurboTax had pre-entered it). I even have a correction notice from the IRS and it has my AGI on it so I know the correct AGI is in their database. I too am thinking that my spouse's AGI must be zero.

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

Since you said you received an AGI 'correction notice' from the IRS, this may not be the same amount that TurboTax transferred from your 2022 return.

Have you tried using the corrected amount reported by the IRS?

Here's how to file an Easy Extension to give yourself more time to resolve your issue. 

@M-Bat 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

It wasn't the AGI that was corrected by the IRS. It was the tax payments that I had made. Went to my IRS.gov account for both myself and my spouse to verify the AGI that IRS has for both of us. It was what I expected for both of us. It seems that the e-File process itself is fouled up.

Does the AGI need to be clean of commas and decimal points? (i.e. "10,000." is incorrect)

The full error message is IND-032-04: The spouse's AGI or Self-select PIN from last year doesn't match IRS records. I have had the same PINs saved in TurboTax, but I did not efile last year, I think my last efile was 2019. Should I blank out the prior year PIN field? I'll try that.

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

Try using $0 for last year's AGI, since you didn't file with TurboTax last year.

Here's more info on Prior Year AGI if Not Filed With TurboTax. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

You can pick the option that you did not file last year and it will skip the AGI question and let you efile.  The IRS does not see that question or care about it.

I have not seen that option. I have efiled 3 times.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies