Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

NTFS

Studying in a foreign country for 2 years

I have been living in a foreign county and finishing a graduate study for almost 2 years now. I left in August 2022 and have not lived in the US or been back since. How do I file my tax for 2023 or do I even need to?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Have you received any taxable income?  

Who has to file?

http://www.irs.gov/uac/Do-I-Need-to-File-a-Tax-Return%3F

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
NTFS

Yes, I have been taxed by the country that I’m currently in. I’m looking through the options filling out through the app but it only has options for earnings in USA which is $0

Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

To file your return using TurboTax, you will report all of your income and claim the foreign income exclusion or credit by selecting the following:

• Wages and Income
  • Show more next to less common income
  • Start next to Foreign Earned Income and Exclusion
  • Answer yes to did you make any money outside the US.

As you walk through the entries for your income, TurboTax will help you decide if you can and should take the Income Exclusion or Foreign Tax Credit.

To qualify for the Earned Income Exclusion of up to $112,000 you would have to have lived outside the US for 330days out of 12 months. If you were in the US for 35 days or more during those 12 months, you would not qualify for the exclusion. As you walk through this section, if you qualify, you may also be eligible to claim a housing allowance. Be aware, if you claim the exclusion you cannot take certain credits such as the Earned Income Credit, if you take the foreign earned income exclusion. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies