Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

shellbo6987
Returning Member

Stubhub/ TM fan to fan resale on taxes(i had a few extra concert tickets that I was unable to attend and sold them for a $937.45 gain, where should I report that?

I don't have all the dates of purchase or sell dates, right now I have each of  them in Total Miscellaneous Taxable Income, so I put in the total amount of money I got for the tickets in 2018, but not the difference from what the ticket costs to begin with.

Is there somewhere I can put this that had the total costs paid for them in 2018 or just the total gain. I've looked into putting it in sch d also, but again that needs to know purchase dates and sale dates.

I just had 12 concert tickets that I bought months before they were happening and my plans, work, other responsibilities made it so I couldn't attend)

Or can I put it in as a hobby income, because then I can put the total amount I got back as the income and minus my gain to get the hobby expenses?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Stubhub/ TM fan to fan resale on taxes(i had a few extra concert tickets that I was unable to attend and sold them for a $937.45 gain, where should I report that?

Since it is a capital gain on the sale of personal items, you can enter a date in 2018 as the sale date and then "various" as the purchase date of all of the tickets - make sure to select short-term (assuming you held the tickets for 1 year or less, which appears was the case from your post).

Then, you can simply enter the total sales price for 12 tickets and the total cost. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Since it is a capital gain on the sale of personal items, you can enter a date in 2018 as the sale date and then "various" as the purchase date of all of the tickets - make sure to select short-term (assuming you held the tickets for 1 year or less, which appears was the case from your post).

Then, you can simply enter the total sales price for 12 tickets and the total cost. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies