turbotax icon
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Stop payments

How would I go about getting the advance child payments from being paid to my niece? She was taking care of my son for awhile but no longer is and I have no idea how to reach her to help get this taken care of

This feature is pending. Thanks for your patience.
Didn't get the answer you wanted? Our digital assistant can help you.
2 Replies

Stop payments

I assume she claimed the child as a dependent on her 2020 tax return and you are concerned about her receiving advanced child tax credit on that basis. You don’t have to do anything. If you are eligible to claim your child on your 2021 return you will receive the full child tax credit and she will have to pay back any advanced credit she received. 

Stop payments

Niece can use the IRS portal to unenroll and opt out of receiving those monthly payments so that she does not have to pay it back at tax time next year.







**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
Manage cookies