turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Stimulus qualification

I just need to know if I’m qualified or not. I filed my tax return early February and got my return within 10 days through direct deposit. They say that if you put yourself as “can be claimed” you’re not going to be qualified, even though, no one claimed me. So do I just sit and wait or do I try to amend my return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Stimulus qualification

if you CAN BE claimed , you are not eligible for the stimulus. 

It doesn't matter whether you were claimed or not

the two issues are different.  For example, while your parents CAN claim you they have the right (per the IRS) not to claim, you.  However, as their child, that still means they CAN claim you. whether they do or not, they still CAN.

Why did you check that box on your tax return? 

Stimulus qualification

Can’t beat around the bush but this is my first time filing taxes and I didn’t know what that meant exactly so I checked it off like a moron Christmas treeing a test. So I’m just trying to see if I could amend my tax return and see if that allows me to be qualified. I really appreciate the answer though, I’ve been just sitting here wondering if the wording was misplaced or misinterpreted.

Stimulus qualification

you have a few choices

1) submit the amendment,  That is going to be at least a 16 week process and there is no guidance from the IRS whether they are going to immediately send the stimulus payment once they process the amendment.  Maybe they will or maybe they won't .

2) just resolve it on your 2020 tax return (and this would include if the amendment doesn't result in the stimulus payment) 

• The stimulus payments are really based on your 2020 tax return (income, dependents, etc).
  • The IRS is using either 2018 or 2019 – whatever is available  - to ESTIMATE that payment
  • When you file next year there will be a “settle up” section on the tax return. 
  • If you are due more stimulus (and this would include where you simply never received it), you will receive it through the 2020 tax filing as an additional refund
  • If you received too much stimulus (not the issue here), by law , you are not required to return it
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies