turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Steps to Take to Remove an Excess Salary Deferral

As a result of getting a new job, my wife put $447.58 over the allowed amount into her 401k.  The TurboTax instructions say:  "Report the excess deferral on your 2019 return in the Income section for Retirement Plans and Social Security whether or not you received a Form 1099-R before you file your return. Enter as much information as you can. Report the excess deferral amount in boxes 1 and 2a, and use code P in box 7. Indicate that this is a 2020 Form 1099-R."

I'm good with all that except the last statement.  How do I indicate, "that this is a 2020 Form 1099-R?"

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

As you continue through the follow-up questions after entering the information for the Form 1099-R, one of the questions will be what year is the Form 1099-R for -- 2019 or 2020.  There you can select the 2020 year.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks!  I thought that would be the case, but I didn't see that.  I'll run through the process again.

I went through the process again and TurboTax Deluxe 2019 never offered me the choice of making this a 2019 or 2020 1099-R.  I also looked in the "forms view" and saw no place to do it there either.  Am I missing something?

AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

I ran through a test case using TurboTax Deluxe just to make sure the advice given earlier was valid.  I still saw the follow-up question asking whether the 1099-R was for 2019 or 2020.  

One thing to try would be to delete the 1099-R in question and re-enter it, going all the way through the follow-up questions.  If that still does not work, take a look at the following picture taken from 'forms mode'.  It shows where to find the check box to indicate a 2020 Form 1099-R.  Select the Form 1099-R on the left side and scroll to the section pictured below.

@rbittle

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies