Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

States will not load after reinstalling TurboTax Home & Business

I bought TurboTax Home & Business 2021 for Windows.  It worked fine, and I completed my return using my free state of Michigan as one free state is included in the price.  I did my son's taxes, and since he moved to Kentucky last year, I bought KY to complete his taxes.  After I e-filed his Federal return, he asked me to change a number on his Kentucky return.  I launched TurboTax, and it started running one of its updates.  The update failed, and after restarting my PC, I could not open TurboTax - I got download error 1603.  I uninstalled and reinstalled TT, but it will not load any states now.  I contacted the help-line twice and they tried to help, but it did not work.  They sent me 2 download links:  one for the main program and one for KY.  A tech worked with me today and sent me a download link for MI.  I've uninstalled and reinstalled numerous times, and I cannot get KY or MI to load into TT.  I started a fresh return, and when I get to the state taxes, neither will load.  My apologies for the wall of text, but can anyone help me with this, please?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Please try the resolution in the below link to see if that helps resolve your state download issue.

State install/e-file update loop: State not installed after installation or TurboTax needs to update...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

8 Replies
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

You may need to exit your TurboTax program, then click on the state download file and run that program. Sometimes the state program will load up and then run the main TurboTax program at the same time. When it's up and running, the state program should be there.

Thanks for the response.

I tried that with MI, and KY, and it brings up a window with the State at the top left corner saying Welcome Back to TT 2021.  The TT State setup program will now install a state product on your computer.  I click the Next button, and it says Click Next to install the Michigan .  After clicking the Next button, It says:  Installing State Forms...  Then Congratulations.  You are done installing your state forms.  I click on the Launch TT button, and it launches TT, I click to continue my tax return, it takes me to the Your State Returns page when I click the Start button for MI, Another window pops up saying:  TT Home and Business 2021.  Let's Download & Install your states.  There are 4 steps, and an OK button.  I click on OK, another window apperars stating that TT has to save my return before checking for updates.  I click OK, a TT 2021 Updater window appears, a wheel-like icon spins, and I get a green check with a message Your software is up to date.  I click OK, and I am back to the State Page, but MI will still not launch.

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Please try the resolution in the below link to see if that helps resolve your state download issue.

State install/e-file update loop: State not installed after installation or TurboTax needs to update...

It WORKED!!!

Thank you so much for your help - this was driving me crazy!

🙂

flemingcg

Is there a MAC version of the TTStateCleanup file?

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

The previous issue was with the Windows version of the TurboTax software.  What is the specific issue you are experiencing with your MAC software?

@flemingcg

I am having the same issue on Mac. I have already downloaded the NY state file for my Mac desktop TT app, but it says I don't have it. So I try to download it again and I just get stuck in a loop that ends in a blank screen when I try to go through the flow to purchase it again. Is there a solve for this for Mac???

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

Please see if these articles help.
Administrator rights MAC 

How to update Mac OS X

@flemingcg

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies