Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

State taxes on non-resident state return - whether to exclude business income?

I'm finalizing my taxes, and filing a non-resident MA return because of one rental property in MA. I was not in MA at all in the year in question. Regarding my primary (non-rental) income, TuboTax desktop is asking me "Exclude this business?" "Should this business income be excluded from the Massachusetts return?" on my full business income from other states (to be clear, there is no business income from MA, as I lived and worked elsewhere). This income it's asking about excluding is 95% of my total full income. 

I have no idea how to answer. Does MA want to see my full income, and will that be handled correctly as it calculates the tax on my MA rental income? Or do I need to exclude this business income for things to be handled correctly? Thank you in advance. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

Update 1: On a subsequent screen here, it's also asking me to "confirm or adjust your Massachusetts income", and it's starting by displaying my full, total income from all sources, all states. Is this where I should knock the number down to just my MA rental income? 

Update 2: Now it's asking about all my business deductions. It seems I should either a) remove all non-MA income and all non-MA deductions, or b) keep all income and all deductions. I have no idea which is proper. Sigh. 

Ignore this duplicate response. poor cell reception

Curious.. Did you ever get an answer on this?

Either way, I'snt it also included on your resident return? So does the refund from a loss get issued by the non-resident state? Or the resident state? 

Hey there. I asked it a different way and got these responses: 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/is-it-necessary-to-manually-exclude-income-from-a...

BTW, this was while I was using the desktop (downloaded) version of TurboTax. I think I'm going back to the online version this year... 

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Yes, the resident return includes all income while the nonresident return only includes income from that state. The resident state will give a credit for the nonresident state tax paid.

You get credit for the lower state tax on the lowest taxable amount.

• Each state calculates taxable income differently. 
  • Each state has its own tax rate/ system.
  • You get the lowest of both categories as a tax credit.

2. A refund from a loss, like on a rental or business in that state? A loss just reduces your income, it doesn't create a refund.

3. A loss reduces your income, just like on the federal.

@taxingtaxes 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies