Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

State Taxes infinite update loop

Hello,

I just purchased Turbotax 2019 Deluxe Edition for Windows and the software is stuck at the State Returns screen.  My Federal return got completed, and now every time I click the Start button for California it asks me to download an update, then it checks for updates and says the software is up-to-date and comes back to the State Taxes page where nothing happens.  If I keep trying to start the California state return, it takes me through the same update process each time and I end up back at the State Taxes page.

Please help!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

1)  Save your tax file.....and Shut down the software.

2) Then download and install the special  "Manual Update".  that should fix the main software program that is messing up the state update.

3)  Then restart the TTX program.  Open your tax file, and run the updates again from the software menu at the top of the screen.  That may get some more updates.   

then see what happens 

The separate Manual Update to download and install is here:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/updating/help/manually-update-turbotax-for-windows-software-basic-...

Another FAQ to try if the manual update doesn't  (but I think you should try the manual update first):

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/state-loop-indicates-turbotax-is-up-to-date-after-...

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

Thanks I ended up just installing TTX on another computer and opening my saved tax file there.  That seemed to work around whatever issue I have with my installation.

Thank you so much for this answer.  I had been in an endless mess of uninstall / reinstall for days before I found this posting.  Finally, it worked, and yes, I am very late in filing, but now at least it is done.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies