Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

eoeo1o

State tax filing got rejected because of duplicate federal tax filing

I used another website(recommended by IRS) to efile my federal tax. However, after I submitted the filing, I found out that website cannot efile state tax. So I used Turbotax to do the efile of the state tax, but my state tax filing was rejected because I filed the federal tax on Turbotax also which was rejected showing an error ' the duplicate submission.' I cannot file my state tax on Turboxtax now , it kept sending me the same error message ' duplicate submission'. Here is the state tax return rejection reason:" REJ001 - This state return was rejected because the federal taxing authority has not yet accepted or has rejected the federal return."
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

You cannot use TT to e-file a state return if you did not use TT to successfully e-file a federal return.   Try printing and mailing your state return.  That is your only way to file it now unless you go to your state's tax website to see if you can prepare and do it on their site.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Since the federal tax return cannot be e-filed using TurboTax because you already filed the federal return with another service, the state return using TurboTax cannot be e-filed.  It can only be printed and mailed to the state.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies