Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

State and Local Tax Refund Summary

Entering the new data for this year under wages and earnings and I'm prompted with this section: State and Local Tax Refund Summary ... I cannot figure out what it means and there's no summary about it either. Last year it says I reported an amount, and this year it auto-filled amounts for me but none of them match the refund I received from the state last year.... I've never been more confused. The only thing I can find is that unemployment earnings go here, however I don't have any unemployment earnings. Can someone help me figure out what I'm supposed to do?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

State and Local Tax Refund Summary

You don't have to do anything.

The taxability of your state and local tax refunds depends on if you took the standard deduction or you itemized your deductions last year. If you itemized your deductions, then only the part of the refund that is greater than what you would have received if you had taken the standard deduction will actually be taxable. This would explain why the numbers are different.

But, just to be sure, you otherwise recognize the data that was transferred from last year?

If you think you may have a duplicate account, this article helps: How many TurboTax accounts do I have?

For an Account Recovery Request, please use this link.

Simply to have help signing into your account, click here.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies