Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kalah529

SSN for a NRA Spouse

I am living abroad with my spouse. He is a Non resident alien to the United States and it will not allow me to go forward without entering his SSN, but he does not have one. What do I need to do?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

41 Replies

SSN for a NRA Spouse

If you are a US citizen and your spouse does not have a Social Security number or an ITIN and you are not applying for an ITIN with the tax return then you can only file your tax return as Married Filing Separately.  Where asked to enter the spouse's Social Security number enter 999-88-9999.  You can only print and mail your tax return, it cannot be e-filed.  When you print the tax return erase the Social Security number for your spouse and manually enter NRA for non-resident alien.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for the procedure to print and mail a tax return using the online editions - https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1944348-how-do-i-print-and-mail-my-return-in-turbotax-online

SSN for a NRA Spouse

How about for NY state returns??? It says i HAVE to e file but if i do the 999-88-9999 will stay there.

SSN for a NRA Spouse

If the software you are using will not e-file a state tax return then NY state allows you to mail the state return.  Since you must mail the federal tax return, the TurboTax software will no allow you to e-file the state return.

SSN for a NRA Spouse

No no!! It allows me to e-file the state return bit please understand that I had to use a dummy SSN in order to complete the 1040 form and print it out to mail it. By doing this it also took that dummy SSN as my wifes for the state return. On the federal I used white out and now wrote NRA non resident alien. But if I want to e fil the state return I can't do it with that SSN because it is not real!! So what do I do??

SSN for a NRA Spouse

The TurboTax software will not allow you to e-file the state tax return if the federal tax return has not been e-filed.  On the state return you would do the same as on the federal.  Print the state return for mailing and erase the dummy SSN entered and write in NRA.

SSN for a NRA Spouse

Thank you, I was worried because once I printed the states return it says no handwritten entries other than a signature on this form. Once i file this will i receive anything from the IRS like a transcript or a final form?

SSN for a NRA Spouse

There will be nothing sent to you by the IRS.  Although you can get a free transcript of a federal tax return from the IRS at this website - <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript">https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript</a>
tlc24

SSN for a NRA Spouse

Did anyone get their taxes approved by writing NRA where it says spouse’s SSN? 

SSN for a NRA Spouse

Hello,

The inability to efile a federal return with an NRA spouse who neither has nor requires an SSN or TIN is a limitation (or deficiency) of Turbo Tax software. There is no such limitation with Tax Act's online software, for example, in whose preliminary informational questionnaire there is a specific checkbox for NRA spouses who fall into this category.  I've been efiling my federal returns with them from overseas for the last several years for this very reason. Good luck.

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

SSN for a NRA Spouse

If you spouse does not have a Social Security Number SSN or an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number ITIN, you'll need to apply for one or the other before you can file your return. 

If they qualify to get an SSN applying for one is easy. Go to Social Security Online, the administration's website, and search for Form SS-5. This form is the paperwork you need to fill out for a Social Security number. 

If they don't qualify for an SSN then you'll need to apply for an ITIN. The IRS issues ITINs to foreign nationals and others who have federal tax reporting or filing requirements but don’t qualify for SSNs. 

You can apply for an ITIN at the IRS website by downloading Form W-7. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

SSN for a NRA Spouse

Once again loads of conflicting information on a seemingly-simple tax topic.  My wife and I both reside in Canada. I am a US citizen but she has no ties to the US. For years I have just listed her SSN as "NRA."

It seems that the IRS wants a SSN or ITIN to verify that the spouse or dependent is eligible for some tax benefit. From the 09/20/2019 W7 (ITIN Application) Instructions it appears that she does not need an ITIN:

"ITINs for spouses and dependents who reside outside of the United States. Spouses and dependents residing outside of the United States shouldn’t apply for, or renew, an individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN) unless they qualify for an allowable tax benefit."

and further...

"For tax years 2018 through 2025, you can’t claim a personal exemption deduction for yourself, your spouse, or your dependents." 

In other words, there is no specific benefit for spouses form 2018-2025 so you shouldn't apply for or renew an ITIN.  Finally, looking to the 1040 Instructions:

" Check the “Married filing separately” box at the top of Form 1040 or 1040-SR if you are married and file a separate return. Enter your spouse’s name in the entry space below the filing status checkboxes. Be sure to enter your spouse’s SSN or ITIN in the space for spouse’s SSN on Form 1040 or 1040-SR. If your spouse doesn’t have and isn’t required to have an SSN or ITIN, enter “NRA.”

So, it seems that this problem is a TurboTax limitation and that the work around is to enter "NRA" and file by mail as recommended at the top of this thread.

DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

SSN for a NRA Spouse

Yes, you cannot efile with TurboTax with no spouse SSN/ITIN you will need to print/mail in.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
LB1002

SSN for a NRA Spouse

Very useful - Thank you.  Took me a while to find this.   I think Turbo Tax could have easily placed an NRA box next to the SSN and made it easy for us rather than printing erasing and then inserting NRA.

C-G
Level 2

SSN for a NRA Spouse

Thank you for this..

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies