Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

SHilger

ss #

The program is asking for a SS# of my exwife for child support.  I do not know her SS # and I cannot get ahold of her and do not think she will give it to me.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

ss #

Child support is not reported as income nor is a deduction on your tax return. Since it is not reported, you would not need her social security number. 

You can, however, deduct alimony paid to a former spouse as long the divorce or separation agreement is executed by December 31, 2018.

Alimony payments resulting from agreements executed after that date can no longer be deducted due to the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (TCJA) that Congress signed into law on December 22, 2017. 

Can I deduct alimony I paid to my ex-spouse?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

ss #

Child support is not reported as income nor is a deduction on your tax return. Since it is not reported, you would not need her social security number. 

You can, however, deduct alimony paid to a former spouse as long the divorce or separation agreement is executed by December 31, 2018.

Alimony payments resulting from agreements executed after that date can no longer be deducted due to the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (TCJA) that Congress signed into law on December 22, 2017. 

Can I deduct alimony I paid to my ex-spouse?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies