Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Someone else claimed my child when I am her custodial parent.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Phillip1

If the other parent has wrongfully claimed your daughter as a dependent, you will need to do the following:

1. Complete your return and claim your daughter as a dependent that lives with you for the entire year.

2. Print the returns and mail them to the IRS and state (if applicable).

3. Gather the following documentation:

1. Rental or mortgage payment receipts.

2. Utility bills for the home where you reside.

3. School records for your daughter.

4. A note from the child’s doctor, pastor, and/or teacher.

5. Any other documentation that you can produce that shows the child resides with you.

4. The IRS will request this documentation from you and the other parent a month or two after they receive your return in the mail.

5. After the IRS receives the documentation, they will review (it will likely take a month or more further) and make a decision as to who is entitled to the child as a dependent. Assuming the other parent loses the exemption, the IRS will make the other parent pay back the benefits they may have received and you will receive your refund.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Phillip1

If the other parent has wrongfully claimed your daughter as a dependent, you will need to do the following:

1. Complete your return and claim your daughter as a dependent that lives with you for the entire year.

2. Print the returns and mail them to the IRS and state (if applicable).

3. Gather the following documentation:

1. Rental or mortgage payment receipts.

2. Utility bills for the home where you reside.

3. School records for your daughter.

4. A note from the child’s doctor, pastor, and/or teacher.

5. Any other documentation that you can produce that shows the child resides with you.

4. The IRS will request this documentation from you and the other parent a month or two after they receive your return in the mail.

5. After the IRS receives the documentation, they will review (it will likely take a month or more further) and make a decision as to who is entitled to the child as a dependent. Assuming the other parent loses the exemption, the IRS will make the other parent pay back the benefits they may have received and you will receive your refund.
Carl
Level 15

That just means that if you are going to claim the child, then you have no other choice but to print, sign and mail your return to the IRS. The IRS will then audit all those who claimed the child, and the loser pays back any refunds they got from making the claim, along with fines, penalties and interest.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies