Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

connuck

Sold my home now live in a rented apt for seniors will this affect my taxes for 2023?

Capital gains will not affect us as we are under the 250,000 limit
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Sold my home now live in a rented apt for seniors will this affect my taxes for 2023?

maybe.  if you itemized in prior years and that included interest and taxes you'll may have a smaller or larger  deduction in 2023 so the standard deduction could be more tax efficient.  don't know if your state has a personal income tax and they allow the same home sale exclusion as the federal or if nay credits or deductions will be lost because you now rent. 

RENT

There is not a rent deduction or credit on your Federal return.  If your state has anything for renters you will be prompted to enter your rent info when you complete your state return.  As far as I know, the states that have anything for rent are Arizona, California, Connecticut, Hawaii, Indiana, Iowa, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, Vermont, Washington DC, and Wisconsin.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

You won't be able to deduct mortgage interest (if you did).  You won't be able to deduct property taxes (if you did).

If you got a 1099-S at the closing, you have to report the sale even if no capital gains tax will be owed.

If you ever used the home in business (such as a home office or rental) then some of your gain is taxable due to depreciation recapture, even if your gain is less than the $250,000 personal exclusion.

No other impact I can think of.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies