turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Social Security Tax withheld 2019

My (in retirement/part time) employer withheld Social Security Tax at the proper 6.2% rate in 2019 but TurboTax is telling me I should get a full refund of all of the money withheld and get a corrected W-2.  Is that correct or is there something else I need to know?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Sounds as if something was entered incorrectly on the W-2.  Delete the W-2 and re-enter.  The Social Security taxes withheld in box 4 should not be more than 6.2% of the Social Security wages reported in box 3.

Because this is a trial return to estimate things until I get all final W-2's, 1099's, etc. I manually enter all items.  After double checking, both the SS wages and the SS tax are entered into the correct boxes (boxes 3 & 4 respectively) and amounts were entered correct as my W-2.   The employer calculated tax withheld was properly done at 6.2% as required.  TurboTax is not recognizing the entries.

@HardTimesPlace_AL 

Since this is just a test tax return, make sure that you are not entering any commas or decimal points in the number fields.

Try entering 10000 in box 1 and 100 in box 2,  10000 in box 3 and 620 in box 4, 10000 in box 5 and 100 in box 6.

Enter the employer name and address and any 9 digit number for the EIN (Employer Identification Number)

Does the problem persist?

If so, try clearing cache and cookies from your web browser.  Close the browser.  Open the browser and access the TurboTax account - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/

Does the problem persist?

If it still is the same then contact TurboTax support for assistance.

See this TurboTax support FAQ on how to contact Support - https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3401489

Check W2 box 12. You may have entered Code A by mistake.  Code A can show up as excess SS or something.  The best way to fix it is to delete the W2 and re-enter it.  That usually clears something out.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies