Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

So I started a job Nov of 2021 and my employer filed my state wrong on my w2. I claimed 2 on my Federal and as head of household and my Employer instead of doing the same

To my state tax, they defaulted it to exempt without my authorization. So I went the whole year without paying my state from each check. So what do I do??
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
lupetaxlady
Returning Member

So I started a job Nov of 2021 and my employer filed my state wrong on my w2. I claimed 2 on my Federal and as head of household and my Employer instead of doing the same

Contact your employer and make changes to your W4 now therefore you'll be ready for next year but unfortunately there is nothing you can do for 2022.  If you will have a balance due you will need to make a payment.  If your not able to afford the full amount you can contact the Franchise Tax Board and set up a payment plan online or at [phone number removed].

HelenC12
Expert Alumni

lupetaxlady is correct. For tax year 2022, there's nothing you can do. You'll have to pay the amount that you owe to the state. 

If you just recently found out about this error (take a look at your paycheck stub to see if state income taxes are being withheld in tax year 2023), you may want to increase the amount of withholding to account for the months in 2023 that weren't being paid by paying an additional amount. 

Contact your Payroll (HR) department for assistance.

Related information: How do I contact my state department?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies