Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

What do I do if my parents claim me as a dependent on their taxes yet I made over $5,950 this past year?

To check your W2 just type w2 (small W) in the search box at the top of your return and click on Jump To the W2

Or go to…..
Federal Taxes Tab
Wages & Income
Choose Explore on my own or I'll choose what to work on  (if it comes up)
Wages and Salaries- Click the Start or Update button
You should get a box listing all your W2s.

Then click  Edit by your W2 to double check it or change it.

The state wages is in box 16 and state withholding in box 17.  You have to scroll way down to get to State. Make sure to fill out all 3 boxes 15-17 and put in the right state.

If you can't get it fixed try deleting the W2 and then re-enter it.

What do I do if my parents claim me as a dependent on their taxes yet I made over $5,950 this past year?

If I were to delete the W2. would that affect my whole tax return?

Well yes until you reenter it.
Bees
Level 7

Since you mention campus  it appears that you are a college student. And you said you were under age 24. That means that you are a dependant of your parents and they must claim you. Any tuition credits should also go on their return. https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/tax-tips/Tax-Deductions-and-Credits/What-is-the-American-Oppor...

If you had federal or state taxes withheld from your income you should file a return to get those refunded, b    Make sure that you indicate on your return that you can be claimed on another taxpayers return as a dependent or they will see your social security number as duplicated and it will not allow you to efile. https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/tax-tips/IRS-Tax-Return/Tax-Filing-Requirements-for-Children/I...

Disclaimer: Not a tax professional. Information gathered from internet links. Anything dated in June 2019 was posted in prior years and is before the 2019 limits and changes.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies