turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Since i am filing married filing separately due to divorce, do i need to fill in spouse's personal info. We did not live together after May last year

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Since i am filing married filing separately due to divorce, do i need to fill in spouse's personal info. We did not live together after May last year

If you were not legally married on 12/31/2023 you file your 2023 tax return as Single.

If you were still legally married on 12/31/2023 you can file as either Married Filing Jointly or Married Filing Separately.  If you file as MFS you still need to enter your spouse's name and Social Security number on your tax return.  Nothing further is required concerning your spouse unless you live in a community property state, then it becomes much more complex.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for filing separately in a community property state - https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/taxation/married-filing-separately-commu...

DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

If you were divorced on December 31st, then you are not considered married and would not use one of the married filing statuses; no ex-spouse information will go on your return. 

However, if you were still married on December 31, 2023, you are still considered married for tax purposes. You could then choose to file as married filing separate.  In that case you  would need to enter your spouse's name and social security number on your return. 

In addition to what DoninGA posted, if you are using the married filing separate status, you also both are required to choose the same deductions.  For example, if one is itemizing the other must itemize or both use the standard deduction.     

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies