Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Shouldn't I be able o file as head of household? I am a single parent with 1 child.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

Shouldn't I be able o file as head of household? I am a single parent with 1 child.

"I am a single parent with 1 child" does not, alone, qualify you for Head of Household (HoH) filing status. You need to meet the other rules too.

The main requirements for Head of Household are: a taxpayer that

1) is single or did not live with their spouse at any time during the last half of the tax year.

2) has at least one closely related dependent* (usually a child) that lived with the taxpayer for more than half the year

3) pays over half of the support of the household expenses, including rent / mortgage, utilities, food.      

*If the child that lives with you is not claimed as your dependent, because the other (non custodial) parent  is claiming the child, that child still qualifies you for HoH, if you meet the household support rule

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

"I am a single parent with 1 child" does not, alone, qualify you for Head of Household (HoH) filing status. You need to meet the other rules too.

The main requirements for Head of Household are: a taxpayer that

1) is single or did not live with their spouse at any time during the last half of the tax year.

2) has at least one closely related dependent* (usually a child) that lived with the taxpayer for more than half the year

3) pays over half of the support of the household expenses, including rent / mortgage, utilities, food.      

*If the child that lives with you is not claimed as your dependent, because the other (non custodial) parent  is claiming the child, that child still qualifies you for HoH, if you meet the household support rule

Am I Head of Household?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894553-do-i-qualify-for-head-of-household

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2900097-what-is-a-qualifying-person-for-head-of-household

If you qualify as Head of Household, when you enter your filing status (single or married filing separately) into Personal Info, and then enter your qualifying dependent, TurboTax will offer HOH as your filing status.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Anonymous
Not applicable

if you were married and your husband died within the last two years, you can file a joint return.

if you are a nonresident alien anytime during the tax year you cannot file as HOH

for HOH you and the child must have the same principal abodefor more than 1/2 the year and the child must be a qualifying child

I'm assuming this is your child by birth  and thus is a qualifying child (if not, there are other relationships that qualify but I won't go into them here)

is under 19 at the end of the year or under 24 and a full time student or is permanently and totally disabled 

you provided over 1/2 the child's support 

child has not file a joint return unless the return is filed only to claim a refund of taxes paid - (no tax liability - full refund of taxes paid and/or withheld)

I think you need to revise your first sentence.  I think you need to replace "joint return" with "as Qualifying Widower".
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/publications/p501#en_US_2017_publink1000220820">https://www.irs.gov/publications...>
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies