Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Should my son who is 19 full time studen he get back most of what he paid

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Your answer would depend on the amount of income he earned.

If he was a W-2 employee, and earned less than $6,350, his Standard Deduction, he would receive a full refund of his federal withholdings

If he earned over that amount, his income would become taxable in which case he would not receive a full refund. The greater his income over his Standard deduction, the less his refund.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Your answer would depend on the amount of income he earned.

If he was a W-2 employee, and earned less than $6,350, his Standard Deduction, he would receive a full refund of his federal withholdings

If he earned over that amount, his income would become taxable in which case he would not receive a full refund. The greater his income over his Standard deduction, the less his refund.

Thank you for your answer. I do have one or two more questions.  My son made $24,000.00 last year and like I said he is a full time student.  Can I still claim him on my taxes as long as he puts on his taxes that someone else is claiming him?  Also  at what age do I have to stop claiming him if he is still living at home and I am still supporting him?

Thank you

You can claim him as a dependent if he is a full-time student until the year he turns 24 if you are still supporting him.  He must say on his own return that he can be claimed as a depenent on someone else's tax return.
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies