Solved: Should I use our adopted daughter's old name when ...

Should I use our adopted daughter's old name when filing? File was rejected b/c new name didn't match SSN. Updated at SS office, but still getting rejected when refile.

I would use her correct current name and Social Security number, even though that might mean you can’t e-file.  I don’t see how the benefit of maintaining a confusing situation is worth getting your refund 2 weeks faster.

It’s also possible that the IRS might catch the Social Security administration update at some point in the future.  But that’s unpredictable and I would just file by mail now.

Yes, try using her old name.  There is no way to know exactly when the IRS and Social Security files will match up.  

Thanks. So by mailing it in, will that prompt the IRS to go in and check/confirm the updated info we did with the Social Security office?

Not exactly.  As far as I know, the IRS downloads a copy of the social security name and number database and uses it for tax return processing, they don't connect to the live SSA database.  And I don't know how often the IRS downloads new updates.  It's at least several times a year, because e-filing of tax returns for deceased people gets blocked pretty quickly.  

It's just that, in my view, you want the correct name on your tax return.  This year that might mean filing by mail, but by next year they will catch up.